photo credit : Serge Melki
February 7th, 2017
At OCHEC Capitol Day, homeschool families will gather at the Oklahoma State Capitol, equipped and eager to influence our state legislators. OCHEC's goal is to have a family in every single legislator's office; put a positive face on homeschooling; and educate the legislators as to who we are, what we stand for, and what we want from them. We are Christian families endeavoring to educate our children to the highest standards while shepherding them towards righteousness and we ask that they, the legislators, merely honor our constitutional rights to do as such without any "help" in any form. Families are welcomed and encouraged to attend, but single participants have an impact as well.
Our State Capitol is still under construction, so our space for the OCHEC Capitol Day may still be limited this year. We will use this challenge to once again focus on making a personal impact on our legislators. There are three ways for the home education community of Oklahoma to get involved. We encourage all families to participate in one or all of the following options: Minuteman, Patriot, and Prayer Warrior
Be a Minuteman! If you like being on the front line and are willing to do the following, register as a Minuteman.
- Stand firmly behind OCHEC's statements and definitions of Home Education and Christian beliefs (you will be asked to affirm these).
- Be educated on the issues (we will help train you)
- Be a Pleasant, Articulate and Confident communicator.
- Call and make appointments with and visit three legislators (not necessarily your own) and deliver a *packet of information* to each.
- Dress in business casual attire (not necessarily a suit).
- Spend 2-4 hours at the Capitol and follow-up with the legislators they visited at a later date. That follow-up does not have to be in person.
- Participate in one of three webinar training sessions offered the week preceding Capitol Day.
*The Minuteman info pack contains important statements, statistics, and positions on legislative issues that affect Home Educators. It will be available for download after registering so you can become familiar with it. We will include a link to the Legislative Directory so you can look up the legislators you will be visiting and learn a little about them. It is vital that you call ahead to make appointments with your assigned legislators. You only need to ask for five minutes of their time. Please do this as soon as possible after you register. We need a minimum of 25 individuals/families willing to be Minutemen. Teens age 16 and up can participate as individuals with parental permission. This will lighten everyone’s load and have a lasting impact on our legislators. Our goal is to have a family in every single legislators’ office in 2017.
Be a Patriot! If you support OCHEC and would like to be a face of Oklahoma Home Educators at our Capitol, then register as a Patriot.
As a Patriot, make it a field trip day and choose to
- Visit your own two legislators with your family
- Bring your own cookies from home or deliver boxed cookies to the legislators
- Wander our beautiful Capitol and become familiar with your own State House.
- Hand make a thank-you card for your legislators
- Have your children draw a picture for your legislators
- Go on a scavenger hunt in the Capitol Building
- Take a self-guided prayer walk tour of the Capitol
- Go on a guided tour of the Capitol Building. For added fun, call ahead and ask your senator or representative if he can give your family a tour. It might get you in places you would not get to see otherwise.
- Encourage your legislators and their staff by telling them you are praying for them
- Take advantage of other activities available in close proximity to the Capitol Building
- Harn Homestead
- Oklahoma History Center
- Tours of the Supreme Court Building
Be a Prayer Warrior! If you are an effective spiritual warrior and do battle best through prayer, then register as a Prayer Warrior.
Governments are affected by the prayers of the saints. This is for those who would be willing to make a prayer walk around the Capitol or who cannot make it to the Capitol but will commit to pray at a specific time for a specific purpose. A prayer guide will be available for download, and you can sign up for specific time slots through our registration. You will be sent a reminder of when you are signed up to pray. We would like to have 1,440 minutes of prayer, which is 24 hours. Our time will begin at 3pm on February 6 and run through 3pm on February 7.